Friday, July 1, 2011

Facebook Featured Fan Announced: Steven Simpson




When I received this week's responses and pictures for the upcoming feature fan, the picture above immediately became my favorite.  What do you think? 

Steven is the pastor of a church that is only blocks down the street from my home. He and his staff always make me feel welcome when visiting their church which, by the way, provides meeting space for a TON of community organizations. This church does a fantastic job of serving the local community. 

I don't believe I have ever seen Pastor Steven without a smile. He has been a wonderful encourager to me on my Facebook Page as well as in my balloon skills. He's the man who asked for Goliath (see picture below)!

I enjoyed reading his answers and I'm sure you will too. Happy reading and have a fantastic weekend!

=============================
Are you a dog or a cat person?
I’m definitely a dog person. We have a chocolate lab named “Levi” and a black rescue dog named “Statia.” The tribe of Levi in the Bible was given charge of guarding the Temple and carrying out priestly functions. The name Statia comes from “Anastatia” (on-a-STAH-shuh) which means resurrection in Greek. Levi and Statia have completely different personalities.



What is your favorite pizza topping?

I like variety, including pineapples, Canadian bacon, roasted red peppers, and even anchovies on occasion, but I most often choose mushrooms and sausage and never pepperoni.

 

Did you play sports or a band instrument in high school?

In third grade I was given a choice of several band instruments (flute, trumpet, saxophone, or trombone), but I didn’t join the band because they didn’t offer banjo. My musical side lay dormant for many years.

In high school I was on the football, wrestling, and track teams and did a little bit of choir and theatre. I also enjoyed skiing and biking.

Later in life I did pick up the banjo, along with guitar, bass, mandolin, and ukulele. Lately I’ve been learning to play Sweet Georgia Brown (the Globetrotters’ theme) on my tenor ukulele while whistling the melody. I’m a big fan of bluegrass, Celtic, and jazz music, including the string-based gypsy jazz of Django Reinhardt.

 

What do you think came first, the chicken or the egg?

I believe God created chickens which in turn produced eggs. I, in turn, like to create omelets.



What would you like readers to know about you personally?

My greatest joy and privilege is to know Jesus and to follow him and to share him with others.



What is your business? What "do you do?" 

I follow Jesus (not always very well), and I try to help others do the same. And I get paid to do it because I’m a pastor serving with the people of St. Paul’s United Church of Christ in Amityville (near the DB Middle School).



Who is your greatest supporter in your life and work?

Well, God is, or I wouldn’t last a day. But the main person God works through to support me is my wife, Shannon. I thank God for her.



Who or what inspires you?

I’m inspired by people who have been shaped by their relationship with God and who continue to accept the cost and joy of discipleship.



What do you do for fun?

My wife, Shannon, and I love to go out dancing. We do salsa, swing, ballroom, and tango. Dancing is good for the heart…and it’s good for the “heart,” if you know what I mean. : )

 

What do you do to relax?

Play music, read, and garden.



What is your favorite quote?

My newest favorite quote is from Eugene Peterson, a pastor/theologian I greatly admire. He said, "The pastor's primary responsibility is to keep the community attentive to God." That really helps put things into perspective for me.



What is your favorite balloon creation?

Miss Balloon Heart’s 9-foot Goliath!


















How can people reach you?





 
========================
Would you like to learn how you may become our Featured Fan? Click here. 

 

Christine Maziarz,
Certified Balloon Artist
Creating Exciting Balloon Memories, LLC
Yep, I'm on Facebook!
Twitter, too! @balloonheart
Serving Southeastern PA     

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts, comments and inspirations. My request is that all posts remain family-friendly. Have a balloontastic day!